Below are the merits/advantages and demerits/disadvantages of the Macpherson constitution of 1951
Merits/Advantages of Macpherson Constitution
1. It improved on Richards constitution of 1946 by consulting Nigerians during the drafting process.
2. It created the post of a minister.
3. The constitution introduced a quasi-federalism in Nigeria
4. It introduced the legislative principles.
5. The constitution had a national outlook as it govern the whole of the country.
6. It introduced a revenue allocation formulae in Nigeria based on the principle of needs, derivation and national interest.
Demerits/Disadvantages of Macpherson Constitution
1. It provided Nigeria with a semi or quasi-responsible government instead of a full responsible government.
2. There was no effective leadership at the centre and regional level because there was no provision for the office of prime minister and premier.
3. There was no team spirit in the council of ministers.
4. Also, there was no team spirit in the National Council for Nigeria and Cameron (NCNC) in the eastern region and this eventually led to the collapse of the Macpherson constitution of 1951.
Thanks for reading,
If you find this information useful, kindly share on social media and drop a comment below.